Friday, March 9, 2018

Friday Funnies, Flops and Fails: Word Play

One of these things is not like the others,
one of these things just isn't the same...



So, when we practice spelling words we take turns...I do a word, then he does a word, then I do a word, etc.   It started a while back when one day he asked if he could quiz me on some of the spelling words, too.  I like it because it gives him some extra practice reading these words, and reading is not his favorite subject, so getting him to read is always a plus.

So, the first word on line three was mine...and it was NOT Barack Obama.   Can you guess what it was?  

...broke.   
It was broke.

Hey, I spell it like I hear it!   And I clearly heard "Bar - ock."  (Obama was added for emphasis).   My kid thought this was hilarious.  It became the running joke for the next few days every time that spelling word came up.

But what's especially cool about this, is that being silly took the sting out of the  mistake (and my kiddo is usually pretty sensitive to mistakes).   It gave me a chance to talk about his pronunciation of "br" without him feeling bad about himself.   That mistake was actually the highlight of our homeschool day.  




Taking part in...
Friday Funnies, Flops and Fails
(cause homeschooling isn't perfect, and we need to see that too)

Plus...
Homeschool Highlights
Littles Learning Link Up


 



8 comments:

  1. English is a difficult language to spell because there are so many exceptions to the spelling rules. I always thought Spanish was easier because it was spelled phonetically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...sometimes I wish I could teach him how to read in Spanish in stead! Would be so much easier!

      Delete
  2. I love when we make mistakes and can use those to teach our kids how to react to them. I bet you didn't through a fit or cry about your mistake, which shows him that he doesn't have to do that when he makes a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...even though this was a sort of "faux mistake" , I totally agree. Kids learn as much from our mistakes as our successes. Maybe more.

      Delete
  3. That is quite funny. I always tell my kids that it's all the fault of our weird language that words are often not written at all like how they sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Too funny!! And a creative way of helping him with pronunciation without hurting his feelings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It goes a long way to show our kids how to own up to our mistakes and move on! We all make them. :)

    ReplyDelete