Thursday, January 18, 2018

Grammar Stories: Semicolons, Cupcakes, and Cucumbers



Semicolons, Cupcakes, and Cucumbers ...a fun book about punctuation that your child will want to read.

When I saw Semicolons, Cupcakes, and Cucumbers...I knew I had to get it.   You see, my son loves personifying stuff (he doesn't know what "personifying" is yet, but when I do get to explaining that word, I'll just tell him it's what he does with EVERYTHING!).  So when I saw a book that turned punctuation into characters...well, that's the book for my kid! 

My son LOVED this book!  He was asking to read it every day for bedtime, and then again during homeschool.  And from the first reading he was asking questions about things like "what does a comma do?"   Oh yeah, and he was also asking to read parts, himself....ASKING TO!   (For background, my kiddo struggles with reading, so him wanting to read anything doesn't happen often.)

It's 100% dialogue in speech bubbles (which is great for sharing parts if you have a struggling reader.   You can read some character's parts and have your kids read others).  And the humor is quite clever....

Picture of one of the pages showing the following dialogue between Exclamation and period...  Exclamation:  "You only want to go to the library!"  Period:  "I would be perfectly happy at a bookstore."


And, if you want to turn this into a full grammar lesson with activities too, there are lots of free resources to use with this book.  Here are a few I found below...

Follow Up Activities
The following free resources all are designed to go with the book!















 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment